Saab has received an order for deliveries of Double Eagle SAROV systems to be used for mine countermeasure (MCM) operations, the company announced on 10th Februrary. The system will be delivered for the Polish Navy’s Kormoran II class MCM minehunters being built by a Polish Consortium. Delivery of the systems is scheduled for 2021-2022.
The order was placed by a member of the Consortium, the Ośrodek Badawczo-Rozwojowy Centrum Techniki Morskiej S.A (OBR CTM S.A). The Double Eagle SAROV systems delivered by Saab will be integrated towards the “SCOT” Combat Management System developed by CTM and equipped in accordance with the requirements of the Polish Navy.
“Through a great relationship with CTM, we will now deliver our world-leading MCM Systems to be used by the Polish Navy. The order indicates the confidence we have from the Polish customer and we are delighted to strengthen the end-user’s capability within Mine Counter Measurements”, says Görgen Johansson, head of Saab business area Dynamics.
Saab’s Double Eagle SAROV is a versatile mine countermeasure system offering efficiency in MCM operations ranging from mine reconnaissance to mine disposal. The Double Eagle SAROV system can be equipped to operate both remotely (ROV) using a tether, or autonomously (AUV), using its onboard batteries for propulsion.
Double Eagle SAROV :
The Double Eagle SAROV is an Unmanned underwater vehicle that autonomously detects, classifies and removes maritime explosives.
It can be operated both as an Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) for detection, classification and identification, or as a Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) for mine disposal.
With its autonomous capability the SAROV can run well ahead of the vessel, relaying information to the operator onboard and ensuring the vessel is forewarned of any mine threat.
The Double Eagle SAROV can be run by remote operation or autonomously, making it an ROV/AUV hybrid.
Multifunctional Capabilities for MCM Operators
The Double Eagle SAROV’s design and sensors allow it to provide multifunctional capabilities for MCM operators. The system is hydro-dynamically stable and highly reliable, providing both exceptional performance and low lifecycle cost.
Combining the features of ROVs and AUVs makes the Double Eagle SAROV a versatile vehicle suitable for a variety of missions, including:
– Underwater survey missions
– REA missions
– Identification operations
– Mine disposal operations
– Detection of underwater objects
Technical specifications :
– Length : 2.9 m
– Width :1.3 m
– Height : 1 m
– Weight in air : 540 kg
– Weight in water : Adjustable, slightly buoyant
– Speed : 0-8 knots
– Operational depth : 500 m
– Payload : 250 kg
– Vehicle control : 6 Degrees of Freedom, auto depth, auto heading, auto altitude, waypoint steering and autopilot
– Navigation sensors : Ultra Short Base Line (USBL), Microelectromechanical Systems (MEMS), Doppler Velocity Log, (DVL) and speed log, Optional:Inertial Navigation System (INS) and GPS
– Camera : Colour camera, other types of camera available on request
– Tether : 1,000 m, 11 mm power and fibre optic or 12 km, 4 mm fibre optic, AUV configuration: untethered
– Power supply : LiPo battery, 12 kWh or power via the tether
– Range : 15 km on batteries, Unlimited on power tether
– Endurance : 10 hours on battery, Unlimited on power tether