Last Updated on 04/10/2020 by OTC
Turkish Navy’s first indigenous Landing Helicopter Dock, TCG ANADOLU, will be protected against divers with ARAS-2023 Diver Detection Sonar developed by Turkish Armelsan Defence Company. ARAS-2023, which can also be used at civilian platforms, provides early warning against unexpected diver assaults.
ARAS 2023 is an Active Sonar System which is able to automatically detect and track the location (distance and bearing) of divers using both Open and Close Circuity Respiratory Systems and Diver Delivery Vehicles. With 360° sonar coverage area, it will have the role of protecting the LHD platform from potential threats coming from underwater.
The system uses signal processing algorithms that distinguish a fish or a fixed object from the diver thanks to its automatic detection tracking classification unit. In this way, it provides automatic detection and warning without an operator at the beginning of the system.
Tests of sonar, which can be used with the security of strategic ports or sea bases, have been completed.
Key Features issued by the producer:
- Light and portable design
- Open architecture, capability integrate sensors
- Low maintenance cost
- 360 degrees coverage area, sectoral transmission capability
- Sonar performance prediction tools
- Displaying in polar and cartesian coordinates
- High accuracy in position notifications
- Operation in all weather and sea conditions
- Handling up to 2000 contacts simultaneously
- Data recording and playback mission analysis and training
- Network capable for multiple sonar head operation
Technical data :
- Deployment Depth: 5-50 m
- Frequency: 70 Hz
- Bandwidth : +/- 5 KHz
- Source Level: 207 dB
- Detection Range (in ideal conditions) :
- Open-circuit divers: 800m detection radius
- Closed-circuit divers: 400m detection radius
- Diver delivery vehicle: 1000m detection radius
- Weight of sonar: 40 kg in air
- Dimensions: Height 425mm, Diameter 300mm
- Number of channels: Rx 128 channels, Tx 4 channels